Monday, January 12, 2009

Deep Thought Directed At Myself.

I should be doing homework right now. But I just drank a cup of purely caffeinated coffee with sugary cream in it. So I figure I have about another three hours of awakeness.

People are strange. We judge. And we don't typically give others the benefit of the doubt.. We just put together what we know about a person with what we've known about people in the past and assume we know what kind of people we meet.

For instance:
A lot of people have trust issues. And I understand that the reasons people have for not trusting people are legitimate most if not all of the time. But theres a smarter way of going about finding new people to trust than to just assume that all people are alike and you can't trust anyone. Is it risky? Uh, yeah, sometimes it is very risky.
But heres the thing: you don't have to tell someone you barely know your deepest darkest secrets. Just trust people a little bit at a time. Trust them with what you know you can trust them with and as you INVEST in getting to know them more, you'll gradually become closer and know when you can trust them with a little more and a little more and a little more...

But sometimes you do get hurt. It's inevitable becuase humans are no where near perfect.

I trust pretty freely I suppose. I don't open up with things that are very personal and important to me until I know that either a) I can definitely, without a doubt, trust you. Or b) I love you enough to risk it anyways.

And I think that thinking about this kind of brought on thinking about other people trusting me. It really hurts not to be trusted sometimes. I mean, have I ever done anything to make you think you couldn't?

But wait a second...have I ever done anything to make you think you could...

Alise, I think you might have something here. Dang. You may not be perfect after all.

SO! I have been coming to some small conclusions lately. I really want people to be able to trust me. So I'll just be here and be me. If you want to trust me, hopefully I'll prove to you that I can. I'll let you be the judge. In the meantime, I'm the one responsible for my faults, and I'm gonna work on those.

Major renovations are taking place in me. Something that should have happened a long time ago.

Tip: stop categorizing people. Stop assuming you know how or who they are. I do it, and I'm wrong a lot.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

This was an amazing blog. It really made me think. Man, I love you!