Friday, January 09, 2009

Cats and College on the Mind

Lets start this one off with a quote, shall we?

"You know Rory, being a young lady comes with many gifts. Your virtue, for example, is a gift, a precious gift, possibly the most precious gift you possess. You want to give this gift very carefully. It is a gift you can only give to one man. Once you give it, it's gone. You can't re-gift it. If you give it away too soon, to the wrong man, then when the right one does come along, you will have no gift to give. You'll have to buy him a sweater."
- The Minister to Rory

Now that we've done that...I don't really know what I'm gonna say.

I've been thinking...(try counting how many times you've heard that before hearing fantastic news--thats right, not once. Almost always scary)

I'm the youngest child in my family. So, it's a lot different becoming an adult, going to college, moving out, and all that jazz. I'm not the first one to do it. And I'm leaving my parents with no more children at home. That's kind of a weird position to be in. Plus the whole "I'm the good kid" thing. That adds to the expectations a little.
In my heart and part of my mind I know that my parents will love no me no matter what, obviously, and they'll support me no matter what I decide to do or where I decide to go. (unless I became a democratic campaign manager or something, but I'm not into politics enough anyways)

But ah! This college stuff...sucks.
Who the HECK decided to make up all these ideas anyway? It's like this freaky schedule that you have to follow.
Go to school for 12 years.
In high school, they say that they're gonna treat you like an adult, but really, they own your life.
In the fourth year of high school--BAM!--"hurry up and fill out all this paperwork""apply to schools or you're screwed""scholarships, scholarships, scholarships!""Hey, all your old classes and mediocre grades are gonna come back and haunt you now"
And while your a senior, they still own you, and treat you like a child even though three months after you graduate, you're expected to be a different person with at least half of your life semi mapped out.
One day I'm fighting with a teacher about how competent I should be considered and how much I know about politics or cars (despite his OPINIONS on who wants to buy a freakin Honda Civic!) and the next day I'm in debt $30,000 a year.

What kind of a freakin loony bin founder made this up!?
I'm gonna wrap up my demon possessed cat and send her to him as a present!

Okay, obviously I'm being kind of ridiculous, but I'm being genuinely serious at the same time.

This scares me. In one of those freaky, excited, spastic scared kind of ways.
I just want it to work out. And I just want to be able to say that I am not worried about it at all because I know God has it all under control. Because I do...I know that, I just need to commit to it. And live like I believe it.

And maybe just stop thinking...

No comments: